Monday, January 31, 2011

Snowfall Reminds Us To Avoid the Complaining Trap

January 31, and they're talking about more snow.  We've had a lot of it lately, so much that it's a relief to know they're forecasting only 3 inches tonight.  But the snow seems relentless this winter, and everybody's complaining about it, including me. 

All the complaining reminds me that we need to watch how much we complain, and resist the urge to pile on with more complaining, badmouthing, and general negativity.  This applies to the business world, and life in general.  And I see benefits to NOT falling into the complaining trap.

The first is that it forces us to focus on the positive.  We can find something positive about most situations.  I don't mean being ridiculous about it.  I'm not going to start telling people, "Hey, I love the snow, the more the merrier, I wish we had more!"  It's hard to say that when you just got a foot or 15 inches of snow.

But last week, after a foot of snow, I was talking to someone, and starting to say the usual (I'm sick of snow, I hate it, Spring can't get here soon enough), and then I stopped to be a little more positive.  I said, "On the other hand, clearing the driveway is great exercise.  It's invigorating being out there.  And there is a certain beauty to the snow as it's coming down."  Focusing on the positive adds some needed perspective.

Another benefit to not complaining, is that it reminds us to focus on what we can control, and forget about the rest.  We can't control the weather (or the annoying neighbor, boss, employee, etc.), but we can try to control our reactions to bad situations and other adversity.  That's a lot more healthy and productive than worrying about things we have no control over.

Refusing to fall into the complaining trap won't change the forecast, but it will make for more positive thinking.  And with all the negativity in the world, a little more positive thinking goes a long way.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments :

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home