Thursday, November 4, 2010

I'm Not a Technophobe, But...

...don't get me an iphone for Christmas.  I'm happy as I am with a simple cell phone that I use only for making phone calls.  I know that makes me somewhat of a dinosaur, but that's the way I am.  I only make phone calls.  Oh, I do use it occasionally for an alarm clock when I need a nap. 

No internet.  No email.  No video games.  No photos, either. 

It's just a phone.

On the other hand, I'm writing this now because I'm out of town, and can't, for some strange reason, remotely access my desktop.  The one time I don't bring a pile of stuff to do, just in case, because I'll rely on Remote Desktop, and this is the time it doesn't work.

A colleague just now, I mean JUST NOW, showed me on her iphone the Talking Tomcat application, which takes anything you say, and plays it back in a garbled tomcat voice.

It's another reason NOT to get an iphone.

I work out of  my home, so when I'm not working, it's easy to walk from the family room to the office, and check my email.  Not all the time, just enough.  If I had the capability to do it on my phone, it would just take me away from other more important things.

Like talking to people, or looking at the scenery, or letting my mind wander.

I see too many people who are texting (I text ever so rarely), or checking their fantasy football, or getting the latest headlines, and I just don't need to be that connected.

So now it's off to the hotel, and dinner, and afterwards, if I can't access my desktop, I won't get much work done.  But I'll be just as happy as people who are doing all those things on their iphones.

So, please.  No iphone for Christmas.

I'm interested in your thoughts.  Am I alone?  What am I missing?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments :

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home